News and Events

  • Speech Day 2017
    This year, Lucton’s Speech Day is on Saturday 24th June. Commencing at the Priory, with...
View More >>

Lucton’s Results

100% GCSE Passes
in the Separate
Sciences
with 72%
being A* to A

History of Lucton School, Lucton School

History of Lucton School

Lucton School was founded in 1708 by John Pierrepont, a successful London Vintner, whose origins were in rural North Herefordshire.  Pierrepont wished to undertake charitable works on his retirement from business and determined to establish a school for the education of boys aged 7 – 13 from the local villages, for whom there was previously no school available.  The School was built  on land purchased from Pierrepont’s friend, Sir Herbert Croft of nearby Croft Castle and endowed through the purchase of tithe rights on local land.  Pierrepont himself set out detailed rules for the foundation and running of the School.  It was to provide a Christian education, featuring Greek and Latin as well as reading, writing and arithmetic to some 80 day boys.  

The regime in those early days was severe, summer lessons starting at 6am and finishing at 5pm.  In winter, the hours were from 8am to 4pm. Teaching took place in the Schoolroom, which is now known as the Queen Anne Dining Room.  Education was free to 50 children from poorer families, whilst (up to 30) children of tenant farmers could expect to pay an annual fee of ten shillings (50p).  The Master’s salary was £50 per year with the use of the house and grounds.  Sadly, John Pierrepont did not live to see his school flourish – he died in 1711, a tragically short time after its opening.

Over the next three centuries,  Lucton has grown to its present number – 350 students, both boys and girls, with 52 teaching staff.  

The School was extended in the Victorian period and again in the twentieth century.  There is provision for the full age range (six months to 18 years) from the Nursery to the Sixth Form.  There are some 90 boarders and pupils come from all over the world.  

The Pierrepont Scholarship still exists for children from the ‘nine favoured parishes’ in the immediate vicinity of Lucton.  The twenty-first century has already seen huge developments and innovations and there are ambitious plans for further additions and improvements.

In 2008, Lucton celebrated its tercentenary with many memorable activities and events, not least of which was a visit from HRH Prince Edward, The Duke of Wessex, who officially named the splendid new swimming pool.  

It is a fascinating history.  ‘The Story of Lucton School 1708 – 2008’ was published to mark Lucton’s three hundredth anniversary.  If you would like to purchase a copy at £10, please contact the School.

© 2012 Lucton School. Lucton Pierrepont School Educational Trust is a Registered Charity No. 518076
Company No. 2059659. Registered Office: Lucton School, Leominster, Herefordshire HR6 9PN

Site by Clickingmad